Developing Elite Drivers since 2000 - (805) 230-3072
RSS

Recent Posts

Many teens not getting driver's ed
Where to put hands on the steering wheel?
Back to (Driving) School: More Crashes and Convictions for Teens that Skip Driver Ed
Blind students required to pass driver's ed
AAA: Fewer driver's ed classes = more teen traffic accidents, convictions

Categories

Agoura hills
driving school
teaching your teen to drive
powered by

Teaching your Teen to drive Blog

Say what? Effective in-car communication with your teen.

Say what? Effective in-car communication with your teen.

This mini how-to guide is intended to help you more effectively communicate with your teen during your first few weeks of behind-the-wheel practice.
Don’ts:Don’t engage in distracting conversations.
When your teen is first learning to drive, you need to restrict what you say to commenting about the current driving environment or to give instructions for what you want your teen to do. If your teen makes some sort of driving error, it can be tempting to bombard them with information about why what they just did was wrong. Restrict your instructions to what is necessary to safely navigate through the current situation. Wait until the lesson is over or for a break in the lesson to discuss the matter in more detail.
Don’t make “I’m-really-scared” noises.
Gasping as your teen begins to change lanes or starts to brake at an intersection is not a good idea. It’s distracting, vague, and frustrating for your teen. If you’re worried your teen isn’t braking quickly enough, simply state, “More brake.” It’s quick, effective, and helpful.
Don’t slam your foot on the floor as if you’re trying to brake the car.
Not only will this distract your teen, but it may frustrate them. They may not know why you’re worried or they may feel that you’re not confident in their abilities. If you’d like them to brake, simply say, “Use your brake. You’re approaching this car too quickly.” That will be much more effective and faster-acting than slamming an imaginary brake with your foot.
Don’t block their view of the passenger side mirror.
When your teen is first practicing how to change lanes, it’s a great idea to double-check that the lane they’re moving into is clear of other cars. Communicating this to your teen can help them build confidence. However, don’t block their view of the passenger-side rearview mirror. This will undermine their learning, not to mention that it’s dangerous.
Do’s:Give driving instructions “location first”.
What this means is that if you want your teen to make a left turn at the next intersection, first tell them where you want their action to take place followed by what action to perform. So, instead of saying “turn left at the next intersection” say, “at the next intersection, please turn left.” Although the difference may not seem significant, it can have a profound difference on the actions your teen takes. If you say, “turn left at the next intersection”, they may act upon the “turn left” immediately. And this could be really bad depending on the driving environment.
Remain calm.
We know that this is easier said than done. But, raising your voice to your teen is not going to help a precarious situation. If your teen does something dangerous with the vehicle, your primary concern is to ensure their safety. Calmly instruct them on how to regain a safe driving environment. Very few people react well when they’re subjected to a scream-storm.
Reward good decision-making.
Everyone, even your teen, appreciates being told “job well done”. While they may not respond to your positive reinforcement with a boisterous “thank you”, rest assured that it won’t go unnoticed.
Summary
You know your teen better than anyone else. You know when to push your child and when to back off. Use this knowledge to help teach them one of the most dangerous tasks they’ll ever engage in.

37 Comments to Say what? Effective in-car communication with your teen.:

Comments RSS
sheranne on Friday, July 03, 2015 3:52 PM
Excellent advice all-around! If a mistake is made; calmly redirect (discuss later). No manifestations of "I'm scared", and I especially appreciated the language processing examples. Thanks for posting :-)

Andy Alloy on Monday, September 18, 2017 10:33 AM
Good luck with teaching a teen to drive, not an easy task - Andy Alloy

professional writing service on Monday, May 28, 2018 3:18 AM
Communication is very important in all aspects of life. Nowadays, teenagers are hard to approach because their generation are different from us. They are all involved in a fast paced life, where modern technology is there that will make their life easier. This is also the cause of teenagers being impatient, they think that they can get things all they want in just one snap. It's not like in the early generation that you really have to work everything for the things you need.

bestessay.org on Thursday, May 18, 2017 7:41 PM
This elitedrivingacademyca blog has been sharing about say what effective in car communication with your team. Great achievment for the we know it is very easy than said,it would probably appreciates being told,important methods,keep it up.

Luke Bannister on Monday, June 05, 2017 3:56 PM

iwiek on Saturday, June 10, 2017 12:53 AM
We can share better and helpful tips always with this site,keep making wonderful points with fast assistance for dissertation writing in university. We all are using this points for more and implementing concepts and better points I ever seen here,thanks for making.

resumesplanet.com reviews on Saturday, August 11, 2018 10:41 PM
Communication is very essential in our daily lives. Through communication we are able to understand each other. It is our tool to share and at the same time to collect information. Communication between parents and children is very important to know what are your children's whereabouts and going through. It is very important to keep the communication within the family because it enables members to express their needs, wants, and concerns towards each other. Having a good communication within the family strengthens the relationship of the members.

Best Beard Trimmers on Monday, July 17, 2017 10:59 PM
We here are discussing the beard trimmer reviews, to let you have a detailed understanding about the best beard trimmer for men.

best wine bottle opener on Monday, August 14, 2017 7:36 PM
Thanks for sharing

VERSALIFT INC on Monday, December 11, 2017 11:53 PM
Firstly thanks a lot for such a wonderful post. I would like to know more about such topics and hope to get some more helpful information from your blog.Thanks for it

Leah on Tuesday, December 12, 2017 1:54 PM
I am in agreement with you that it is very effective in-car communication with your teen. Do you know about infant car seat? If not then check the things for detail. Thank you so much and have a good day!

Clinton Guerrero on Friday, March 09, 2018 3:31 AM
Regular job.

PPC expert on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 8:18 AM
Love everything about your blog. You are amazing at what you do and I look forward to seeing more of such great content here.Keep up the good job.

MacGIC - Get all Mac Tools on Saturday, April 28, 2018 12:09 AM
In summary, Mac Make-up is one of the easiest, most intuitive programs of its variety. Also, it’s wholly moveable, so you can run it from a removable generate with no leaving traces from the Home windows registry. Moreover, it offers enhanced safety as a result of randomization processes.

best online writing service on Monday, April 30, 2018 12:09 AM
This blog is really great. I can use this with my younger sister. Because I am about to teach her how to handle wheels this weekend. It is such a relief to me to have read your blog. I got one less of a problem now that I have seen this one. These do’s and dont’s that you were able to share is very fascinating. I am certain that whatever that will happen this weekend, I can make sure that I am ready for it.

annonymous on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 8:24 AM
ok

karamba on Monday, May 14, 2018 8:02 AM
A very awesome blog post. We are really grateful for your blog post. You will find a lot of approaches after visiting your post. I was exactly searching for. Thanks for such post and please keep it up

alice on Thursday, May 24, 2018 10:30 PM
nice

iq options on Saturday, May 26, 2018 2:41 AM
I am unable to read articles online very often, but I’m glad I did today. This is very well written and your points are well-expressed. Please, don’t ever stop writing.

hopa on Sunday, May 27, 2018 10:30 AM
The maximum pay out is as soon as you predict the exact number on which the ball stops.

Business G on Saturday, June 09, 2018 12:13 AM
I was just thinking about Caribbean Cruise to start operating departing from Cozumel Island. and you've really helped out. Thanks!

Baby Care Tips on Tuesday, June 12, 2018 10:37 PM
Great post, the subject is extremely useful and informative for me. Keep doing the good work. Regards

ts on Monday, June 25, 2018 6:26 PM
test

livecareer resume review on Monday, June 25, 2018 7:14 PM
Driving is a milestone for most of us, parents giving their teens a driving lesson is something to look forward to. It is important for parents to be calm and collected during the lesson, since they are still learning it is expected that they will be making a lot of mistakes, it will be helpful in the process if parents will guide them properly. Learning to drive is an exciting feeling, most teens look forward to it because of being able to go anywhere and feel independent. Communicating well during the lesson is important, handling the situation well will result in more proper driving outcomes. The driving skills of teens will depend on the proper guidance and communication of parents, if it was handled well the possibility of being a good driver will be high.

annonymous on Wednesday, July 04, 2018 5:47 AM
good one

Anker promo codes on Monday, July 30, 2018 3:54 AM
Learning driving is the most complicated work, need to have a good teacher.

Jagremovalservice on Wednesday, August 01, 2018 12:39 AM
I share this information quite a bit so I thought it would be helpful to me as well to have some of the best pins in one post.

Coursework Writing Services on Thursday, August 09, 2018 9:45 PM
Having a good and effective communication is always necessary and I am sure that whenever this communication happens, there are more chances to get success.

g on Monday, August 13, 2018 5:47 PM
gg

https://top5writingservicesreviews.com/ on Monday, August 13, 2018 5:53 PM
I personally think that learning how to drive is one of the most important and significant things. When I was twelve I thought that driving is not important, but when I turned 22 I really had to save my cousin's life and I had to drive him from his house to the nearest hospital that I know. Unfortunately, I do not know how to drive and he left me in my arms and never wake up again. Thus, driving skill is necessary to learn.

www.fratres.ro on Tuesday, August 28, 2018 10:37 PM
Find Job Vacancies Close to You. Personalized Job Alerts by Email. Access to Jobs near You. Free Email Job Alerts. Personalised Vacancies.

asd on Monday, September 03, 2018 6:15 PM
asd

loemrntdherid1 on Monday, September 03, 2018 7:41 PM
It was very useful for me.

rushessay review on Wednesday, September 12, 2018 6:27 PM
You are so right about how important it is especially for teens to drive. Basically there a lot of things that we could say about how important it is to learn how to drive but one of the most important thing is that driving is a life skill. It could save lives. I remember when I was 16 I saved a woman's life by driving her to a hospital. I drove for about 7 hours just to bring her to a hospital but that experienced taught me that learning how to drive really is something. I was only starting how to drive that month but I was already able to save a life with my very little knowledge on driving. Anyway, thank you for sharing this.I hope you liked my input in your comment section. Keep it up.

$1 Hosting on Friday, September 28, 2018 5:17 AM
This article is an appealing wealth of informative data that is interesting and well-written. I commend your hard work on this and thank you for this information. You’ve got what it takes to get attention.

crackslive on Saturday, October 27, 2018 5:33 AM
Today driving is a habit and also its a great need. its such a great web site.

Daniel Linker on Thursday, December 06, 2018 7:23 AM
It's really nice information provided by you. Nice topics and nice information. Thanks for sharing this with us.